- Look for a qualified therapist. When you search on a therapist directory, verify if they are a member of either:
- Contact them. When you find a potential therapist contact them and briefly explain the issue you might need help with to check if they can help you.
- Check their response. They should try to find out, even from an initial email, a little more about you, what your needs are and if their knowledge and expertise are the right match for you.
- Be curious. Practical questions are important too, i.e. the length of the sessions, the price, the cancellation policy.
- First session. This is an opportunity for you to decide if you are comfortable with them talking about you, to have a sense of the way they work and if they are the appropriate therapist for you.
- Decision time. What’s the feeling at the end of the session? Do you want to see this person again? Did you sense you could trust this person sharing your most personal stuff?
Finding the right therapist is not always an easy task, don’t be discouraged, and don’t settle until it feels right for you!